6/12/15

URI Providence Campus Library Windows




Eric Auger

NEW LIFE:
A transformative expression of life’s journey

Mixed media.

NEW LIFE Exhibit, the Ten-31 Puppets & Dance Company will come alive
June 13 4-6pm for Providence International Arts Festival (PIAF) at 80 Washington Street

Work is up June 1-30, with Gallery night Reception June 18 5-9pm in the Lobby Gallery

About the Work
The “New Life” exhibit is a series of 30 x 30 acrylic on canvas uniquely designed butterflies presented in a full spectrum of color.  With more than a dozen pieces, the viewer is at first inclined to peer closely to see the details of Eric’s hand and then step back and see the full joy of his imagination. Fine artist and photographer Eric Auger is pleased to present his “New Life” exhibit to raise awareness of suicide prevention especially in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ)* youth community.

About the Artist
Eric J. Auger (ō zhāy) is a mixed media artist and costume designer living and working in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Born in 1969, he holds a BFA from Rhode Island College in Photography with minors in Graphic Design. He expresses his unique style in a variety of media including acrylic paint on canvas, pastel, colored pencil, photography and digital images. After his 14-year career as a Visual Merchandiser for one of the country’s top retailers, Eric became a performance artist.  Today, Eric is the Creative Director and Co-Owner of TEN31 Productions where he has created hundreds of handcrafted costumes. Best known locally as the “living statutes” at Waterfire, TEN31's performers have traveled around the world showcasing their one of a kind unique imagery, which when combined with theatrical choreography, leaves audiences breathless.

Fine artist and photographer Eric Auger is pleased to present his “New Life” exhibit to raise awareness of suicide prevention especially in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ)* youth community.
“All youth, teens and young adults struggle to find their place and identity in their home, at school and in the community,” says Eric Auger, “and a satisfying future seems unreachable and often times unimaginable. Certainly, those feelings are shared by gay and straight teens no matter where they live or their life’s situation.”
But what made Eric journey different was the coming of age in a world that was only beginning to acknowledge the needs of the gay and lesbian community. There were no school based support programs and the adult gay world was out of reach so even role models were difficult to find.  As a gay teen, Eric knew first-hand the raw emotions of struggling to first feel comfortable with his identity and all the while trying to gain the acceptance of family and friends “Suicide hovers over you when you are a gay teen”, says Auger, “and the future seems dark and colorless.”
“Because of my personal journey from gay teen to adult, I know first-hand how words can hurt and crush your spirit and your ambition. Along the way, I was fortunate to find my passion in the performing and visual arts, a place where I could express my own needs and wants and at the same time connect with my future. As time went on, I realized I had to distance myself from those around me who would try to use my sexuality as a reason to crush my hope. Over time, I knew I was more than a gay teen. I was a hardworking, talented, dedicated individual who deserved to dream of a future filled with optimism. I made up my mind to surround myself with people from the gay and straight community who valued the things that I valued – life, love and mutual respect. Once I made that decision, my life went from flat and lifeless to one of hope, possibility and endless color!”

Resource Information
For more information about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered health, please visithttp://www.cdc.gov/lgbthealth/youth.htm.
For local resources and support, please visit Aids Care Ocean State at http://www.aidscareos.org/

For local information about suicide prevention, please visit The Samaritans of Rhode Island atwww.samaritansri.org

No comments: