2/25/15

URI Providence Campus Library

In and Out of the Thickets by Liliya Krys
March 2-28 Gallery Night Reception March 19th from 5-9pm.




Now a local artists and professor of Studio Art, of her artwork and specifically the 14 works in the URI Providence Campus Library windows, Liliya Krys says:
“I spent my early youth on one of the Kuril Islands named Iturup. My town was built at the base of a sleeping volcano, with a view of the Pacific Ocean, and all the stark beauty of nature. Proximity to nature was not an occasional pleasure, but an everyday event. Often we would go into the deep wilderness just for the heck of it. I always wondered why pushing through the debris of deadfall, passing over mountain rivers, and getting stuck in the marsh excite me? The physical strain, scratches and falls, the cold, heat, and sweat, the basic fear of the unknown, and the pleasure of overcoming it taken altogether, awaken the senses. I could experience a vivid sense of place, and of being alive. Previously, I was looking for a better understanding of the human condition while working with the figure. But that understanding has manifested itself in the form of landscape. The structure of the woods, direction, and passages resound like the bone structure of the human body. I have found the connection. The still remembered wild roots of humanity reveals itself through the landscape. The insights landscape gave me, transitioned into my intimate involvement into space. This space fractures from abstract to representative, from color to being mute, from drawing to painting. My aim here is to create an intimate dialogue of my inner and outer worlds of memory and present, along with the conversation between the media of drawing and painting.”
All exhibits and events are free and open to the public.
URI Providence Campus Library Window Gallery on Washington

No comments: